Saturday, February 2, 2013

Chocolate Chip Cookies

Classically wombo-ed, I'm hoping everything I make with this newly created blog will be not only pheNOMenal, but also delicious. I should note that I'm definitely the kind of blog reader that just scrolls to the bottom as quickly as possible to find the recipe. If thats the case with you as well, no offense taken if you choose to scroll all the way to the bottom. Though there are few helpful tidbits inbetween :)


When my baking addiction began, I found myself straying from the typical, making things like "double chocolate peanut butter fudge nutella cinnamon bites." Maybe that was an exaggeration, but really I just avoided average cookies, recipes that I felt were exhausted. As I began to bake more though, I found myself wanting to make the BEST chocolate chip cookie that I could, rather than the most cracked out chocolate chip cookie anyone had ever made. And who doesn't like chocolate chip cookies? So I figured I would start with a chocolate chip cookie that is definitely a contender for the best.

I should start by saying that the best chocolate chip cookie is extremely subjective. My top 2 requirements: soft and chewy. And I suppose they should be delicious. This cookie happens to be all of those things. And they also happen to be vegan.


There were a couple odd things about this recipe, the first being that there was both whole wheat and all purpose flour. If all that you have is all purpose, don't fret too much and feel free to use two cups of all purpose instead of two of each. Though I do believe the whole wheat four added to the wonderful chewiness. 




 The second oddity for this recipe, no granulated sugar, only brown. And only 1/2 cup. Odd, but low on sugar is always fine by me.





And of course, because it's vegan lots and lots of things to help the dough form and rise. A teaspoon of each baking powder and soda. Best not to forget things like this. 


As far as skimping on ingredients go, the recipe I found called for only 1/2 cup of chocolate chips. If you're anything like me in the amount of chocolate you like in your cookie, you'll definitely need to make that a heaping half of a cup, and in addition to that perhaps add a couple more handfuls. Amount of chocolate chips is something up to you. Though I personally prefer many many many of them. 




Fair warning, when the recipe has you mix all of the wet ingredients together, your soymilk is not going to mix well with your oil at first. And it will look a little nasty. Not to worry though, give it a quick stir when all of your ingredients are in the bowl and you should have no problem getting them to appear as pictured below:


Another warning, this dough may look a little bit drier than the usual cookie dough. If you need to you can add a little bit of extra soymilk though its okay to leave the dough a bit dry, and mixing it with your hands is also encouraged. 


Make sure to form all of the balls well with your hands, about the size of a golf ball is best, also good to press the dough down a little bit as these cookies won't expand too much unless they're encouraged a bit.




Bake and voila! Cookies, cookies, cookies!

The cookies only bake for about 10 minutes, but watch them carefully, when cooked perfectly the dough is extremely chewy, but burning them at all can make them very dry.





I should also add that I was going to make these cookies to share at the super bowl party that was taking place at my house but making cookies for a party 3 days early is never a good idea. I tripled the recipe, making around 2 1/2 dozen cookies, but lets just say they didn't last very long. But hey the good news is, I get to bake more, and therefore blog and share more. And finally,  a recipe. Enjoy :)

Recipe

1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup chocolate chips

1/3 cup canola oil
1/4 cup non-dairy milk (I used vanilla soy)
2 tsp. vanilla
2 tbsp molasses

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350.

Mix the flours, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt and chocolate chips in a large bowl. Mix oil, soymilk, vanilla and molasses in a separate bowl. Once combined, stir into dry ingredients. Once everything is mostly combined you may have to complete mixing with your hands.

Place golf ball sized cookie dough onto greased baking sheet, with about 2-3 inches between. Press the dough flat a before baking for about 10 minutes. Watch the cookies carefully as over baking can easily make them very dry.


And all thats left to do is enjoy.

Nomnomnom til next time.


recipe credited to: http://www.yourdailyvegan.com/2012/11/13/simple-quick-chocolate-chip-cookies/

No comments:

Post a Comment